CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What has possessed me?

Everyday, I can see how I am aging. Not only physically, but mentally. For example...

As I was trolling through Long's Drugstore over my lunch hour, I became particularly fond of the kitschy, inexpensive, and poorly made items on display in their holiday aisles. As I was perusing the Hallmark ornaments, for a moment, I bonded with an elderly woman who was clearly enamored with one of the ornaments I also liked.

From this moment, I flashed into my future; and based on what I already know of myself, I could easily envision myself at 80.
  1. I like Long's, Walgreen's, Target and the like. Regardless of whether I need something, I can stroll through these stores and find things to buy. My signs of aging today...in my basket were knee highs, small envelopes, gum and stamps. Soon enough, I'll have prune juice, arthritis cream and tabloid magazines.
  2. I am a victim of cold feet. No, I'm not a quitter, I literally get really cold feet. As such, I have what I like to call, my "sleepity socks". Often sold in packs of three, these plush, ultra thick, footie socks come in three different colors, of which, I have several sets. I own at least nine pair of sleepity socks. Now, I only know that these were a true sign of age because my girlfriend Ruth mocked me, when she told me her grandmother wore them, and thought to buy me a pair since it was 2-for-1 at Costco. I later learned my own grandmother has cold feet. I at least know this is somehow genetic.
  3. I'm a bad driver. Naturally, I don't agree with this because I'm not really a bad driver. I've never gotten a speeding ticket or been involved in a major accident. Fender benders, sure. I once got a "Red Light Running" ticket, but that citation was questionable and I got out of it through traffic school. I'm an aggressive, city driver, so, I guess that makes me a bad driver, at least according to my mother and my husband, which surely means I'm only going to get worse with age.
I'm 30 and all this probably isn't much, but I can only imagine what's to come. At least I don't have any gray hair yet.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Very cute!
    As for the “sleepity socks”, you can have them at any age, I guess! I fell in love with them since I was about 20 and I still have about 5 pairs of them in each color! Age is a very defying thing; it really shows only if you let it!
    Rainmayun said...
    I've got plenty of gray hairs... started getting them at 27. But you know what they say... you are only as old as you efel.
    Anonymous said...
    OK Doreen, you've always worn sleepity socks so I don't think it's an age thing. I warm my cold feet on your daddy whose alway nice and warm. Love ya, cold feet and all! MOM

Post a Comment