Monday, January 09, 2006
A resolution is defined as a decision to do something or to behave in a certain manner (i.e., "he always wrote down his New Year's resolutions), and in the spirit of the new year, I have established my resolutions for 2006.
This year, I thought I'd keep it relatively simple; my resolution is to not eat fast food for ONE WHOLE YEAR! This pretty much includes any place that has a drive thru (with the exception of Starbucks...I'm really not there for the food).
This should seem relatively simple, yes? I think so. I'm not normally drawn to fast food, but boy, when I get a hankering, that's all I want. I travel a lot for business, and this is when I typically crave the McDonald's, Carl's Jr., Wendy's, etc. Nothing is more satisfying than passing the time in the airport enjoying chicken nuggets. Jimmy Joe and I love the fast-fat and carbs when roadtripping, savoring the salt from the fries as we lick our fingers; mmmMMMmmm, chasing it all down with our giant Cokes.
I like to think I don't fit into that percentage of Americans who eat too much fast food. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, eating well and exercising regularly. I enjoy fast food, but as the saturated fat and carbohydrates pass through my gullet, I'm almost immediately overwhelmed with sick, greasy feelings of guilt, both intestinally and emotionally. I think to myself, "dammit you, you should have gotten a sandwich" or "you could have waited until you got home", and more often than not "you're going to regret eating that later." That being said, this seems like a reasonable resolution, but...
It seems I pseudo-commit to something every year. It's either something I can not adhere to (out of sheer weakness and real lack of commitment) or I simply forget. I can't recall a resolution I've carried out for more than a few months, but this is one I really intend to try! Bon appetit!
This year, I thought I'd keep it relatively simple; my resolution is to not eat fast food for ONE WHOLE YEAR! This pretty much includes any place that has a drive thru (with the exception of Starbucks...I'm really not there for the food).
This should seem relatively simple, yes? I think so. I'm not normally drawn to fast food, but boy, when I get a hankering, that's all I want. I travel a lot for business, and this is when I typically crave the McDonald's, Carl's Jr., Wendy's, etc. Nothing is more satisfying than passing the time in the airport enjoying chicken nuggets. Jimmy Joe and I love the fast-fat and carbs when roadtripping, savoring the salt from the fries as we lick our fingers; mmmMMMmmm, chasing it all down with our giant Cokes.
I like to think I don't fit into that percentage of Americans who eat too much fast food. I live a pretty healthy lifestyle, eating well and exercising regularly. I enjoy fast food, but as the saturated fat and carbohydrates pass through my gullet, I'm almost immediately overwhelmed with sick, greasy feelings of guilt, both intestinally and emotionally. I think to myself, "dammit you, you should have gotten a sandwich" or "you could have waited until you got home", and more often than not "you're going to regret eating that later." That being said, this seems like a reasonable resolution, but...
It seems I pseudo-commit to something every year. It's either something I can not adhere to (out of sheer weakness and real lack of commitment) or I simply forget. I can't recall a resolution I've carried out for more than a few months, but this is one I really intend to try! Bon appetit!
1 Comment:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm curious, only because I have this rule too, and yet I keep bouncing up against the edges of it.