CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 20, 2006

No offense, but this state is STUPID!

Our transition from the Bay Area to Colorado was relatively smoothe. All-in-all, I have very few complaints about being here and all that comes with it. Sure, I could do without the snow, but once the gloom and drear go away, it's not that bad. Thus far, our days have been more sunny and clear, than snowy and sh*tty.
However, there are a few things that annoy the be-jeezus out of me:
1. The dry air. It makes your lungs burn, your boogers bloody and your skin SO dry, scaly and raw. I've gotten a humidifier and I don't think it works very well. Fortunately, Avery doesn't seem all that affected by it, Jimmy and I on the other hand, are hurtin'.
2. The DMV. It's nearly impossible to get licensed to drive in this state. I thought I'd been thorough and checked things out before we moved. The Colorado DMV website indicated that you need a birth certificate to obtain a new license from out of state. I understand that Homeland Security has made licensing an entirely different process, but puh-leez!
For those of you who do not know, I'm an Army brat and was born in Germany. As such, I am a US Citizens born to two American soldiers, and I at one time, had dual citizenship. The kicker is, is that my birth certificate is in German as I was technically born in a German hospital. I took my birth certificate and supporting information (expired passport and military ID) and went to get my driver's license. No way they say, you don't appear to be a US citizen and we can't use your passport. You have to have proper documentation, a US Citizen Born Abroad form. I called the number she (the incredibly rude supervisor at the DMV) gave me and to get this form, I must send a notarized written request to Washington DC and include a check for $30. I then must wait at least eight weeks to receive it. Great. You'd think having been licensed to drive in two other states (CA & WA), that the process would be a no-brainer, but NOOOO. Anyway, I put the heat my mom and asked if she received anything when I was born and of course, she had said document.
To make things that much more interesting... you can't make an appointment and they don't take debit/credit cards. The credit card company's fees are too high, they say. My question, why don't you pay the fee and pass it along to me for the simple convenience? At least so I don't have to go back home and get my checkbook.
3. No Bank of America. They have Bank of America ATM machines everywhere, but not one single bank. That's just nonsensical to me.
4. Dry cleaning. I took four items to our local dry cleaner. A sweater, a polo, a pair of slacks and a shirt for laundering. My bill...$33.00!!!!!! I about crapped my pants. Um, hello, in San Francisco, it may have cost roughly $12. "It's because the sweater and slacks are rayon." $11 each! What the hell?! That didn't make any sense to me, IT'S DRY CLEANING. "Well, you know in these resort towns, everything is that much more expensive." That's a crock of sh*t! So, if you happen to run into me in an event that requires clothing that would most likely require dry cleaning, I'll be stinky and wrinkly in my outfit.
Give me time and I'll think of more things that bother me about this state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment