Sunday, January 27, 2008
Yesterday, Jimmy, Avery and I went to the Washington State v. Arizona State basketball game at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. Aside from the poor officiating, it was a great game. But I have to admit, I felt like the biggest traitor in my yellow Arizona State University t-shirt.
Having gone to Washington State AND played basketball there, without question, my loyalties lie with the Cougs...Once a Coug, Always a Coug!! But, I now work at ASU, and in their athletic department no less. I feel silly wearing ASU stuff and I keep referring to ASU as they, rather than us or we..."they played well last night", etc.
I have a mounted picture of myself playing basketball in my office, and the student-athletes more often than not, chide me about my hoop skills or how terrible Pullman must have been. But what will the conversations be like tomorrow? Are they going to know that I cheered for the Cougs in my ASU t-shirt? That I wasn't unbiased, quiet or sad that they (damn, we) lost to my Cougs?
I guess the big question is, will these feelings ever change? And more importantly, will I become a Sun Devil at heart? Doubtful. Perhaps I feel this way because the Cougs are good for once? I'm not a fairweather fan, but the Cougs have struggled in most sports the last few years.
Having gone to Washington State AND played basketball there, without question, my loyalties lie with the Cougs...Once a Coug, Always a Coug!! But, I now work at ASU, and in their athletic department no less. I feel silly wearing ASU stuff and I keep referring to ASU as they, rather than us or we..."they played well last night", etc.
I have a mounted picture of myself playing basketball in my office, and the student-athletes more often than not, chide me about my hoop skills or how terrible Pullman must have been. But what will the conversations be like tomorrow? Are they going to know that I cheered for the Cougs in my ASU t-shirt? That I wasn't unbiased, quiet or sad that they (damn, we) lost to my Cougs?
I guess the big question is, will these feelings ever change? And more importantly, will I become a Sun Devil at heart? Doubtful. Perhaps I feel this way because the Cougs are good for once? I'm not a fairweather fan, but the Cougs have struggled in most sports the last few years.
For the time being, I've gotta ride the crimson and gray wave while we can (we meaning Cougars), and fake the Sun Devil spirit. What a pickle.

Our self-portrait skills have deteriorated since Avery came along.
Getting that 3rd person in there is tough! I almost lost an eye!!
1 Comment:
-
- Kara said...
January 27, 2008 at 8:51 PMI'm a little surprised you even wore an ASU shirt, though I guess you had ASU tickets...Once a coug always a coug. And I second that horrible officiating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
