CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Transition

We're moved. Finally. This past Friday, movers moved us, we've unpacked some and we're living in the new house. I love it.


And with this move, we thought it might be the perfect time to transition Avery to her toddler bed, which essentially, just meant removing one of the sides on her crib. Once her bed was set up, she immediately set about getting on and off it, pretending to sleep and jumping on it. We curbed the jumping pretty quickly, but we were most interested to see how she'd actually sleep on it at night.

Avery hasn't ever tried to climb out of her crib, which is usually a tell-tale sign that it's time to make the transition from the crib. But know that Avery is a bit of an 'everywhere' sleeper. She tosses and turns and winds up in the most interesting positions. Naturally paranoid, once we she went down Friday night, we covered the floor beside her bed with pillows. I woke up periodically to check on her and at my last look-in at around midnight, she was still in the bed.
But wait, what do I hear at 1:30 a.m..."froooommmph -- bwaaaaah". I immediately knew from this sound that she'd fallen. Yep, she rolled right off and startled herself awake. I kinda chuckled because the sound was so distinct...the big airy pillows taking the 30lb blow.

But, once I put her back in her bed, she fell right back asleep. And wouldn't you know it, I was up almost every 30-45 minutes afterward checking and waiting for the next roll. It didn't come. Around 5:30 a.m., she starts her morning wail, wanting one of us to come get her, not knowing that she was free to move around. So I walked to her door, beckoned her to follow me. She climbs out of bed and pitter patters into bed with us. It was cute.

Saturday night. Oh yes, it gets better. This time dad had night duty. Around 11 p.m., he hears unusual noises on the monitor. No wailing, just LOUD rustling with the occasional wimper. After going to investigate, he returns telling me I have to come see what she's done. Avery is sound asleep under her crib. We think she fell off the crib and did a bounce-roll off the pillows under it. We put her back in bed. 30 MINUTES LATER...baby down again. No froomph. No wail. But this time, she managed to stay on the pillows. We left her there.

Sunday night. 2 a.m.-ish, she's asleep in the middle of the floor of her room, face in the carpet and on her knees...bum in the air. Dad puts her back in bed. 3-ish. Same thing. Back in bed she goes. 5 a.m. she's on the pillows.

Monday morning. We decide to put the side of the crib back on.

**********************************************************
And here are a few before and after pics of the back yard. It's come a long way in 2 weeks.
This is essentially what it looked like when we moved in. Weeds were at least 4 ft tall in most areas of the yard. No pool fencing.
Sparkly.
And with the newly installed fencing.
View of the side yard from RV gate. Blech.

And looky now!

6 Comments:

  1. Ryan and Trish said...
    Gotta love the transition to the bed...Logan used to get out of bed and fall asleep in the hallway; we'd come upstairs to go to bed, toss him in bed, and go along our merry way. About three weeks later, he quit getting out of bed.

    Good luck!
    Desi said...
    The pool looks great! We will come visit some day!
    As far as the transition, we have decided to move Victoria in a big bed once she is 3. Our crib does not have the option to be a toddler bed, so we will get her a whole new set! I can't wait! Mommy loves shopping!!!
    Grandma said...
    Loved the photos but need to see the inside! Kiss Avery for me. Love Grandma.
    Robert and Erin said...
    Congratulations guys!
    Glokai said...
    D! The rolling off the bed thing is HYSTERICAL!! Love the new house...great work.
    DMB (andbabybmakesthree.wordpress.com) said...
    Omigosh, that's hilarious, and exactly how I expect it'll go for us, too! After your story, I'm thinking I'm in no hurry for that transition! :)

    D

Post a Comment