Monday, March 22, 2010
Last week, Jimmy's brother Ryan came to visit us for Spring Training. Also in town were Jimmy & Ryan's family friends they knew from Alaska. Jared & Angie now live in Reno, but drove to Arizona with their kids Madelyn (5) & Jaxen (3) for a Spring Training visit as well. Avery loved having new friends to play with and Jared & Angie were happy to get out of the Nevada cold and snow.

The kiddos lounging poolside.
What's spring training without a hot dog?
The only picture I snapped w/ Uncle Ryan in it!

Jared & Avery on a beautiful day
Play ball!

Jaxen & Avery
********
On Thursday, because of a consistently naggy cough and congestion we thought might have been allergy-induced, we decided to have Avery tested. But, rather than torment her (or myself) with skin pricks, we opted to go the blood draw route. I was truly dreading the blood draw. Big needle, squirrelly kid and squirrelly kid needing to sit still with said needle in her arm while vial filled with blood. We got to the already crowded lab around 10:00 a.m. My first mistake was not making an appointment, so we waited for over an hour. But Avery was very good and even entertained the lobby with her rendition of the Single Ladies. We FINALLY got called back. I think the phlebotomoist was also a little wary about how things would proceed and had asked another nurse to assist, if necessary. I'm instructed to have Avery sit in my lap. The chair was set up for a right arm draw, so I pin her left arm down by overlapping my arm, then hold her extended right forearm with my hand. Avery is still sitting quite calmly as the nurse ties on the tourniquet and swabs the area with alcohol. Then it happens. She inserts the needle and draws the blood. And that's it. SO unbelievably uneventful. Avery didn't flinch, tense, cry or ANYTHING! She watched the entire thing and sat through it so calmly. Actually, the hardest part about the whole ordeal was trying to get her to make a fist. The other nurse popped in to see if any assistance was needed, and by then, we were already done! Because they didn't hear any blood-curdling, toddler screams, they probably thought we hadn't yet begun. Avery was most excited about the gauze and tape bandaging and her sticker, then walked out proudly displaying her battle wound to the lobby. While we walked to the car, I repeated over and over how proud I was of how well she did before she stunned me by saying, "Thanks for believing in me, mommy." *tear* I have no idea where she gets this stuff, but as I've said many times before, she surprises us every day. Avery was tested for dog, cat, grass, tree, egg and nut allergies, and fortunately, all of them came back clear. So, we have yet to figure out what, aside from ear infections, is causing her cough/congestion.
********
This was posted on Facebook last week, but in case you missed it, here's how dance parties go down at our house.
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

