Friday, March 10, 2006
Yep, that's us, Doreen & Jimmy!
Baby Magee is due September 19th!
Last fall, Jimmy and I decided to passively (correction, VERY passively) try to get pregnant. After a sun-filled, fruity-drink vacation to Hawaii in September and Thanksgiving in Las Vegas, we figured our passive attempts would mean putting it off until the next fall ('06). Needless to say, things happened on our first "real" try in December. When the home test came back "pregnant" we laughed hysterically for a good 10 minutes, then freaked out at the accuracy of the test. No faded pink lines or light blue crosses, no maybes...it said "pregnant"! Whoa!
We've heard a heartbeat and seen things on ultrasound that are completely unrecognizable (apparently that wee thing IS a baby). It all still hasn't really hit us. We're slowly continuing to embrace our future of sleepless nights, diapers and unused golf clubs, but we couldn't be more excited!
FAQs
1. How're you feeling? At this point, I feel pretty good. Only a few rough days with the nausea, but otherwise still myself. I'm still playing basketball (only one week to go) and I still fit into my clothes.
2. Will you find out the sex? ABSOLUTELY! Jimmy and I like to be in the know. We'd love a boy and have had a boys name picked out before we ever decided to start family planning. Jimmy's already talking to my stomach (no belly yet) helping our little one work on its backswing.
3. Are you going to move? Who would want to leave the palatial SF one-bedroom we currently reside in? Even though it doesn't have a dishwasher, or parking or in-unit laundry; who needs that stuff with a baby? [insert sarcasm here] We're actually undecided at this point. Our place is large enough to accommodate the two of us and a baby for a while. We've only passively begun to look for a two-bedroom.
4. Is Jimmy freaking out? That would be a yes. All the "will I be a good dad, provider, coach, tutor, discipliner, buddy?" concerns have come up, but if this is freaking out, then I'd say he's normal. I think I'm freaking out more than he is because I'm definitely not ready for the physical changes...oh, but I will be cute!
**********************************************************************************
For those of you who may be interested, please bookmark my blog and check back regularly, as I intend to document our pregnancy experience here. And for all you women who have already experienced the "miracle" (or done so vicariously through friends or siblings), I would love any feedback/advice you may have to offer. For Jimmy's sake, you Dad's or sympathetic men without children, please feel free to chime in as well!
We're hopeful for an easy pregnancy and healthy baby...boy or girl!
Until next time... d & j
Baby Magee is due September 19th!
Last fall, Jimmy and I decided to passively (correction, VERY passively) try to get pregnant. After a sun-filled, fruity-drink vacation to Hawaii in September and Thanksgiving in Las Vegas, we figured our passive attempts would mean putting it off until the next fall ('06). Needless to say, things happened on our first "real" try in December. When the home test came back "pregnant" we laughed hysterically for a good 10 minutes, then freaked out at the accuracy of the test. No faded pink lines or light blue crosses, no maybes...it said "pregnant"! Whoa!
We've heard a heartbeat and seen things on ultrasound that are completely unrecognizable (apparently that wee thing IS a baby). It all still hasn't really hit us. We're slowly continuing to embrace our future of sleepless nights, diapers and unused golf clubs, but we couldn't be more excited!
FAQs
1. How're you feeling? At this point, I feel pretty good. Only a few rough days with the nausea, but otherwise still myself. I'm still playing basketball (only one week to go) and I still fit into my clothes.
2. Will you find out the sex? ABSOLUTELY! Jimmy and I like to be in the know. We'd love a boy and have had a boys name picked out before we ever decided to start family planning. Jimmy's already talking to my stomach (no belly yet) helping our little one work on its backswing.
3. Are you going to move? Who would want to leave the palatial SF one-bedroom we currently reside in? Even though it doesn't have a dishwasher, or parking or in-unit laundry; who needs that stuff with a baby? [insert sarcasm here] We're actually undecided at this point. Our place is large enough to accommodate the two of us and a baby for a while. We've only passively begun to look for a two-bedroom.
4. Is Jimmy freaking out? That would be a yes. All the "will I be a good dad, provider, coach, tutor, discipliner, buddy?" concerns have come up, but if this is freaking out, then I'd say he's normal. I think I'm freaking out more than he is because I'm definitely not ready for the physical changes...oh, but I will be cute!
**********************************************************************************
For those of you who may be interested, please bookmark my blog and check back regularly, as I intend to document our pregnancy experience here. And for all you women who have already experienced the "miracle" (or done so vicariously through friends or siblings), I would love any feedback/advice you may have to offer. For Jimmy's sake, you Dad's or sympathetic men without children, please feel free to chime in as well!
We're hopeful for an easy pregnancy and healthy baby...boy or girl!
Until next time... d & j

J
I am not sure if I should share a lot about what it's like being pregnant (as I am in my most miserable state right now) but I have a few things that could help you out.
First,
I hope you have figured out what you should and should not be eating by now (like lunch meat, soft cheese and such) but one thing you should add to the list is DIET soda. Yes! Everything that contains ANY kind of sweetener is a big NO NO. It turns out (after needless research on the topic) most diet soda drinks contain Aspartame, which turns into formaldehyde in your body, which causes serious birth defects that affect the brain and spine. I worked so hard on getting your mom to stop drinking diet everything because it also causes poisoning in adults. I think that she has been diet – free for a couple of months now.
Second,
Allow yourself to be happy even though you might be very afraid that something might go wrong. My experience has thought me that the baby does not “drop” that easy and a miscarriage is very unlikely to happen unless something is VERY wrong. Even though we were told that we lost Victoria at 13 weeks, she is still here kicking and that stupid ER doctor only made a fool of himself.
Third,
Take a lot of pictures! One mistake I made and I regret – I should have taken a picture every time I turned a week. By having those pictures you can compare and see how your belly grows and kids love to see their mommy’s belly pictures (that was the advice from Heather F).
Fourth,
Ask questions! I usually have a list of like 10 questions that I take every time to my appointments. The questions change every time but I always have a lot of them. If your gut tells you that something is not right – then don’t let them tell you that everything is fine. They have the means to find out almost anything you want them to. They make mistakes too (a lot of them).
Fifth,
If you want to be able to hear your baby’s heart every time you suspect something might not be OK, rent a Doppler – it is only $25 a month and I found it very helpful. I was able to hear her any time I wanted to and Roy Jr loved it too. Here is the address: http://www.bellybeats.com/
Sixth,
Call me! I am so excited to tell you everything I have learned this far about the tests (pros and cons) and what is “normal” and what is not. I am such a Nerd (Roy loves to call me that) but I must have read like 7 books about pregnancy and childbirth. They made me withdraw from school and see what happens :). And that website that I gave you – it kept my sanity. To be able to share with other pregnant women that are going through exactly the same thing was very nice and very comforting.
That is all for now! I can’t wait to hear from you or you might here from us first. I am 2cm dilated and contracting, so may be she is comming soon.
Love, Desi