CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

(23 Weeks) So far, so good

PHOTO: Black does wonders for the figure.

This past weekend, Jimmy and I travelled to Washington for my mother's 50th birthday celebration. It was so wonderful spending time, and getting to see, our family and friends. My parents were proud grandparents and grandparents-to-be (again) of our new niece Tori and well, my belly.

When talking pregnancy with family and people at the party, a few people felt the need to mention the complications that they experienced in their pregnancies and how difficult it was raising kids. And, despite it all, they had these perfectly healthy, happy children.

To date, I have had no complications. No bleeding, no abnormal tests, nothing. It seems that having a difficult pregnancy would ultimately lead to having a normal newborn. Needless, to say, I'm not worried. The only thing I'm worried about is my ass spreading from here to Timbuktu.

Jimmy and I grow increasingly anxious about the arrival of Oly. We so badly want to meet her, and by the way she's kicking these days, you'd think she wanted out already. We also share those typical concerns: what will we do for childcare? Will she pick up the game of golf easily? Will it be as hard as everyone keeps saying it will be? Maybe we're disillusioned, but Jimmy and I don't think it'll be that bad.

3 Comments:

  1. Rainmayun said...
    some day, you're going to have to explain to your child why you call her "Oly"......
    Desi said...
    Doreen, it will not be bad at all. No matter what we have shared with you back home...everyone has a different experience and I am sure that yours will be one to remember. No complications is the best you can ask for...and a healthy and kicking baby is what we are all praying for.
    I hope we did not scare you with our stories (it is hard not to talk about it, even though we should just move on and stop bragging about our birth stories)...everything will be fine and I am sure that it will be one of the most amazing moments in your life.
    No matter how dramatic Tori's birth was, I could not have asked for anything better...it made me love my baby that much more and honestly, I can’t wait to do it all over again and again…I love being a mom. Just enjoy your baby any chance you get and enjoy the easy pregnancy….take it easy, don’t work too much and take a moment to sit down and rub the belly more often…tell Oly that we love her very much and can’t wait to meet her. I am sorry if I have made you worried by sharing my pregnancy and birth experience.
    Anonymous said...
    I laughed as I read about your "receiving advice" tidbit...because I too was one that didn't want to hear advice, personal experience stories, etc. from anyone while I was pregnant. However, 3 years later, I find myself saying those very things to mommies-to-be (unless I have a moment of self-control and actually bite my tongue). I think it's because every single experience is so unique that mommies and daddies just HAVE TO share their own story. I also think we all have an idea of what parenthood will be like...and we find out shortly after baby arrives that we had no idea what we were getting into. Some things are easier; some are more difficult that we expect them to be.

    Here's a few things I've learned:
    1) I am getting VERY CLOSE to saying "because I'm the mommy, that's why" to my 2-year old. (something we both said we'd never say to our kids)
    2) Some babies sleep in a crib in the next room, some in bed with mommy & daddy, some in a bassinette in the same room. (I swore my babies would never sleep with me; Logan slept with us for 2 months!) Some get rocked, or nursed, or bottle fed to sleep; others cry themselves to sleep...and regardless of my own personal beliefs as to what is best, I've witness children who are raised by all of those methods and they are all happy and healthy...so maybe we're ALL doing something right!!!
    3) I haved bribed my kid...and it works! Some days are just about survival 'til bedtime.
    4) Regardless of whether you're having 1 baby or 6, and whether your baby is 7 days old or 17 years old, everyone is right: BABIES DO GROW UP TOO FAST!!!
    5) I love my kids...but I need a break from them too.
    6) I'm a better mom because I work outside the home. Just because a mommy has a career doesn't make her a less dedicated mother; and just because a mommy stays at home doesn't make her more dedicated. It all comes down to the time spent with your child(ren).
    7) You do not need experience to be the best parent; all you need is to love your baby and no one can love a baby like a mom & dad.
    8) The best advice I received from a friend after I had my first baby was...DON'T TAKE ADVICE. You, Jimmy, & Oly will do what works for your family. You might change your mind on how you thought you would do things, you might do things differently (or the same) as your parents and friends...but as Oly's Mom & Dad, you DO know what's best!

    I think that's it. I just HAD TO share a little more advice for you to stew over :)

    We all are very excited for you; wish we lived closer!

Post a Comment