Tuesday, August 22, 2006
UPDATE (8/24): 36w2d, 50% effaced, 0 cm dialated.
Photo: Do I look much different from one week to the next anymore?
As my pregnancy draws to a close and I interact more with women in various stages of pregnancy, I believe I've uncovered or distinctly identified the "Three Phases of Pregnancy."
Number One: Excited Bliss
This is the phase where you've learned you're pregnant and are experiencing all the emotions that come with it. You're secretive in the beginning before telling anyone, about to burst while trying your hardest to wait until the right moment to share. AND THEN, you've begun telling people, who share your enthusiasm and joy. With the exception of morning sickness, you're so looking forward to what pregnancy will bring.
Number Two: Let It Show
You're well into the second trimester and are starting to feel chubby. At this point, it seems like you notice and see pregnant women EVERYWHERE and yet YOU don't look pregnant. Where's my bump? Dammit, I'm pregnant and I just look fat. I want to look pregnant, I want my belly!
Slowly, your mound starts to develop and you take pride when people notice you're pregnant and start asking when you're due. You feel great, haven't gained that much weight and have proudly transitioned into maternity clothing.
Number Three: Get It Out!
You've asked for it and got it, the mound keeps growing. At certain points, you're happy with the size of your belly and hope it stops getting larger because you're pregnant and cute. Knowing you still have 10 weeks to go, it becomes a little depressing when you realize you're going to get HUGE, which is significantly less cute.
You're done! You want that baby out! You're irritable, tired and winded. You've packed the weight on, the stretch marks have blossomed, and your overall discomfort has increased. Despite the horror stories you might have heard, you're prepared for pain, drugs and birthing balls. You begin to care less about how you look (mainly because all your cute prego clothing is now too small) and your significant other can't seem to do anything right. You question whatever possessed you to even think about having kids and you salivate over the margarita you're forbidden to touch. The oft-posed question: When is it all going to end? God forbid you go past your due date!
***************************************************************************
Now, I have experienced/am experiencing all three of these phases. I've exaggerated in areas, but as far as my pregnancy has gone, it's pretty accurate.
As I've mentioned in previous postings, I've had a very easy and uneventful pregnancy, which I do not take for granted. I've also previously mentioned that despite it all, I generally have not enjoyed being pregnant. As unbelievably excited as I am to meet this little girl, it's simply not for me. As such, I'm glad Jimmy and I have agreed that we only want to have one child. That all being said, I was recently told, BY A MAN, to stop whining and to enjoy this pregnancy experience. I tried to let this go, but I can't.
What may have been perceived as "whining" is simply my being honest about a) something I've never experienced before; and b) something I'm entitled to rant about when I'm not "enjoying" it.
So guys, let me know how you feel when YOU get pregnant - and then we'll talk about my "whining".

1 Comment:
-
- Anonymous said...
August 22, 2006 at 12:44 PMYou're husband does everything PERFECT and you know it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
