Tuesday, September 05, 2006
PHOTO: Jimmy & I after dinner. I'm so not comfortable with "my girls" being out on display like that. But what can you do?******************
Don't get excited, we didn't have a baby on this aptly named weekend. However, if you did not know, Labor Day weekend is my birthday weekend celebration.
This year, my birthday fell on Monday of the long weekend. I love my birthday. There is no better day than September 4th (duh!). Every year, Jimmy spoils me with some sort of spa treatment (it has varied year-to-year) and dinner at one of our favorite San Francisco restaurants (Tommy Toy's). It has become my birthday tradition.
The downside is that my being pregnant has changed the way we celebrate. No massage at the spa this year, no bottle of wine with dinner or the beloved after-dinner-drink, the "House Cappuchino" at our favorite local bar in North Beach (Tosca). Sparkling water has become my drink of choice.
We picnicked, went shopping and spent as much time outside as possible. We had a wonderful weekend, and all-in-all, just getting out of the house these days is a highlight for me.
*******************************
RECAP: Last week's hospital tour and Newborn Care class.
The hospital tour was quite enlightening. In an hour, we learned everything you could possibly need to know once you arrive at the hospital. The Labor & Delivery rooms are big and spacious and have every accommodation a pregnant lady like myself might need. Even the post partum recovery rooms are quaint. I like my hospital and am glad this is where we decided to deliver.
The highlight of the tour was seeing a woman, her husband, friends and burrito-wrapped baby being rolled from L&D to her post-partum room. She looked a little worse-for-wear, but I suppose that's to be expected. I imagine I'll appear a little frizzy-haired and exhausted too.
The Newborn Care class was interesting as well. Our instructor was a bit of a hippie, which was annoying at times, but overall the class was very informative, if not scary at the same time.
Having babysat growing up, I was not all that unfamiliar with tending to the needs of a baby. Holding, feeding, dressing...all that jazz comes pretty naturally to me. It helps that I love babies. The best part was that Jimmy picked it up like a pro. Although, it's pretty easy with a 3 lb doll that doesn't wiggle or cry, but I'm sure he'll be fine.
The frightening portion of the class were the pictures of all the weird things babies are born with, contract or develop shortly after birth. Thrush, newborn acne, jaundice, diaper rash and the like. Not fun.
************************************************************
Today's Appointment: 75% effaced and 2 cm dialated
************************************************************
The downside is that my being pregnant has changed the way we celebrate. No massage at the spa this year, no bottle of wine with dinner or the beloved after-dinner-drink, the "House Cappuchino" at our favorite local bar in North Beach (Tosca). Sparkling water has become my drink of choice.
We picnicked, went shopping and spent as much time outside as possible. We had a wonderful weekend, and all-in-all, just getting out of the house these days is a highlight for me.
*******************************
RECAP: Last week's hospital tour and Newborn Care class.
The hospital tour was quite enlightening. In an hour, we learned everything you could possibly need to know once you arrive at the hospital. The Labor & Delivery rooms are big and spacious and have every accommodation a pregnant lady like myself might need. Even the post partum recovery rooms are quaint. I like my hospital and am glad this is where we decided to deliver.
The highlight of the tour was seeing a woman, her husband, friends and burrito-wrapped baby being rolled from L&D to her post-partum room. She looked a little worse-for-wear, but I suppose that's to be expected. I imagine I'll appear a little frizzy-haired and exhausted too.
The Newborn Care class was interesting as well. Our instructor was a bit of a hippie, which was annoying at times, but overall the class was very informative, if not scary at the same time.
Having babysat growing up, I was not all that unfamiliar with tending to the needs of a baby. Holding, feeding, dressing...all that jazz comes pretty naturally to me. It helps that I love babies. The best part was that Jimmy picked it up like a pro. Although, it's pretty easy with a 3 lb doll that doesn't wiggle or cry, but I'm sure he'll be fine.
The frightening portion of the class were the pictures of all the weird things babies are born with, contract or develop shortly after birth. Thrush, newborn acne, jaundice, diaper rash and the like. Not fun.
************************************************************Today's Appointment: 75% effaced and 2 cm dialated
************************************************************
1 Comment:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Happy belated birthday and you still look so beautifully pregnant...;-) Take care you and Jimmy.
Love Andrew and family