Monday, September 22, 2008
What we thought was going to be a traumatic, teary and heart-breaking experience has been anything but. Much to our surprise, this has been a very easy transition. The binky is gone.
The first day, Tuesday, was most eventful for 'Sarah' than it was for us. Avery woke from her nap an hour early, demanded her binky and when 'Sarah' didn't give in, Avery played her manipulation card -- yep, she puked. She's done this with us a few times, getting so worked up and upset when we wouldn't give in to her demands, that she's physically made herself sick.
Evening was my biggest concern, because the binky is what meant it was time for bed. I was very surprised when she hadn't asked for it the whole night. After giving daddy his nigh-night kiss, I took her into her room and got my nigh-night hugs and kisses. It was only then that she whispered to me, "I need binky". I told her binky's were for babies and that she was a big girl and didn't need it any more. She didn't argue or fuss and went right down for the night. It could have been that because her afternoon nap was disrupted that she was just too tired to care, but I honestly didn't think it would be that easy.
Since her 18-month well-baby visit, we had actually been weaning Avery from binky; typically only giving it when she was REALLY upset or when it was close to nap- or bed-time. So, maybe we actually positioned and prepared both Avery and ourselves for this next step.
Wednesday naptime was much better. She didn't ask for it, went down without it and took her normal 2.5 hour nap. When I picked her up and we were in the car headed home, she asked for it and even started crying when I told her I didn't have one and the whole its-for-babies shpeal. But it didn't last long, and we were back to our "what's that" and song-singing routine.
That evening though, was a little different. She asked for it repeatedly. It was a non-stop trill of "I need binky" and when it was time for bed, she didn't appear tired or ready to give in. BUT, yet again, she surprised me. Once we were in her room, she hadn't asked for it. I asked her if she wanted to lay down, she reached for her crib. She cried when I tried to leave her room and I sat with her for a little longer. And then she was asleep...with no binky demands.
Thursday and Friday night were easy too. She still asks for it, but mostly during the day, but, yup it's official. I think it's affected me most. I associate the binky with her being my little baby, and yet she's becoming less and less a baby everyday.

Tasting her pretend goodies in her chefly gear.

Such a discriminating palate.

Blowing up the balloon. Well, not really, it was already blown up, but she knew you had to blow on it to get it full.

Giving daddy and I pedicures.

Are you ready to dance? And obviously mimicking daddy...funny.
4 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the dance moves...but I think it's only fair to post Jimmy bustin' a move too!
Love seeing the weekly pictures of Avery.