CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 11, 2010

Konichiwa

October has been and will be a very interesting and busy month.

One week ago Saturday, Jimmy left for his second trip to Japan in two years.  The first time he left for the week-long stretch was right before Avery's 2nd birthday.  Lest you've forgotten, that's the trip he left our digital camera on the airplane and we scrambled to buy one before the party (yes, that's what I remember most from his trip). 

That trip, Avery was so young and didn't quite comprehend that he was gone, however, our little girl-genius got it this time.  Jimmy's airport drop-off was by far the most difficult, emotional and heart-wrenching thing you can imagine.  And the 25-minute drive home afterwards was just as bad.  She didn't want her daddy to go and it hurt her so deeply that he was leaving. 

After some snuggling and explaining that he was coming back and probably with gifts, the week carried on as usual, but not without the occasional, 'where's daddy?'.  The funniest moment was when she saw his car in the garage:

"Is daddy home?"
"No, he's still in Japan remember."
"But how did he get there?  Did he walk?"
"No, we took him to the airport and he flew on a plane."
"Oh, yes.  I was sad.  But I still think he walked."

She did have a couple breakdown moments of crocodile tears about how she wanted and missed her daddy, but we survived the week, spoke with him every morning and even exchanged video and photos.  Dad even shared information about the food he ate there, which she recanted to all her friends at school - "The food in Japan is kinda icky."

On the day of Jimmy's return, I told him I was in meetings all afternoon and that he'd have to cab home from the airport, while I'd really planned to surprise him with Avery and I at the gate.  We got there early just to be sure we didn't miss him as he was coming through security.  Avery even colored a sign that read 'My Daddy', like those the car service drivers use.  The downside was I couldn't have seated us further from the actual exit that we almost missed him.  Avery had gotten comfortable, kicking off her shoes and lounging, impatiently in my lap when I gasped, watching my speed-walker husband dart toward the escalator. 

"Ack!  Avery there he is!"
"Wha-where?"  I pointed and she screams, "Daaaaaaddddy".  But he doesn't hear her.
"Again!"
"DAAAAADDDDY!"
"Go get him!"  Avery darts off in her bare feet, running as fast as she can, screaming at the top of her lungs with her sign in hand.  I've never seen her run so fast.  And much to Jimmy's surprise and the amusement of those passing by, she greeted him with uncontrollabe laughter as he swooped her in his arms.  It was pretty darn precious.

So, things have returned to usual, with the exception of Jimmy trying to adjust back from a 16-hour time change, only to leave again in a week.  Yup, back to Japan.  Like I said, October is busy.  I'll let you know how the next airport drop-off goes next week.

Lastly, Halloween is approaching and we've asked Avery what kind of costume she'd like to wear this year.  She still hasn't stuck to any one thing yet.  She originally wanted to be the red princess like she was last year.  Then it was Ariel (from The Little Mermaid), a clown, and Jessie (from Toy Story).  Today, it's Ariel again.  We'll see.  She spends long stretches reading the mailers from Party City with all the costume pictures for inspiration, so who know what she'll want to be tomorrow. 

Avery and the iPad.

1 Comment:

  1. Grandma said...
    I really missed the blog. Thank you for starting again.

Post a Comment