CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

(27 Weeks) All Things Sweet

PHOTO: I've been conversating in a Craigslist forum with other pregnant women about their experiences, and according to some of the pictures I've seen of them at 27 weeks, I'm pretty small. Though, from one week to the next, I look huge and then I don't. Weird.

If you know me at all, you know I like sweets, especially candy. Several of you have seen me through phases of obscene amounts of Tootsie Rolls, berry Skittles and Jelly Belly jelly beans. I can't help it, candy is my friend. It makes me happy and it always has. Well, my recent glucose test for gestational diabetes would show that perhaps I should curb my relationship with candy and all other desirable sweets.

Now, this was only the one-hour test, for which I was not required to fast and it probably registered the chocolate cake with double chocolate chip frosting that I had the night before. Given that the range is between 80 mg/dL and 139 mg/dL and I registered a 140 mg/dL, I'm told I'm probably not at risk of developing GD. As such, this experience should quell all myths and excuses that because you're pregnant, you can eat anything they want; in part because what you eat can truly hurt you (and your baby), and not just at the hips.

Thus, I have the pleasure of enduring the three-hour test this forthcoming Saturday morning. For which, I'll be required to fast for 12 hours beforehand and starve for three hours during the test while they poke and test my blood every hour. Good times.

*************************************************************
Jimmy and I registered at Babies R' Us this weekend, and it was by far the most overwhelming and awful experience ever! Babies need A LOT of stuff, but there is also A LOT of stuff that they don't need. And if you've never had children, how do you REALLY know what you need and what you don't?

We fumbled with strollers, mulled over bottles, onesies and hats, and cringed at the prices of cribs and other "essentials." It's all so expensive, which reminds you that while children are a joy (supposedly), they do a number on your wallet...and do so for the next 18+ years. I can easily say I've taken for granted all the things my parents have done for me and unbeknownst to me, at what price that may have come and what they may have sacrificed. With that said, Mom...Dad, thanks!



1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Tell me about it.

    Every trip to Babies R Us averages $100 per item. And there's no end in sight.... ;)

    Mike

Post a Comment