Thursday, May 03, 2007
So, everyday at 2:00 p.m. I close and lock my door, and whip out my handy manual breast pump. As you know, I’m not producing much these days, but at this time I can usually get up to 8 ounces of breastmilk. This is the only time of day that I pump and when my boobies feel remotely full.
My door has a window, and I, like everyone else here in my office, cover it with paper for privacy. There are also two other windows. One is a strikingly beautiful view of the filthy parking lot; the other is very high along the hallway of the copier, printer and fax machine. This hallway is also a major thoroughfare toward the conference room and kitchen.
Now, if you wanted to look through this second window you’d have to be at least 6’4” and stand on your tippy toes to look in. And I often wondered, if and when my door was closed, would someone try to look in that way to see if I was here or what I was up to. Well, that day has come and it just happened to be one of my bosses. He gave me big smile and friendly wave.
“Hmm”, I thought, and give an awkward wave back. I don’t think he realized exactly what I was doing and fortunately, I wasn’t entirely exposed, but you’d think the dead-giveaway would have been the bottle of milk suctioned to my chest. My pumping session officially came to a close and I broke out in an embarassed sweat. Not once did he knock on my door or even try to ring my extension, he went the route I expected least of him.
THEN, as I’m walking out of my office down the aforementioned hallway to put my non-descript pump bag and ice packs in the fridge, he catches me and says, “oh, sorry to bother you, are you leaving for the day?” upon observing what looks like a lunch box in my hand.
My door has a window, and I, like everyone else here in my office, cover it with paper for privacy. There are also two other windows. One is a strikingly beautiful view of the filthy parking lot; the other is very high along the hallway of the copier, printer and fax machine. This hallway is also a major thoroughfare toward the conference room and kitchen.
Now, if you wanted to look through this second window you’d have to be at least 6’4” and stand on your tippy toes to look in. And I often wondered, if and when my door was closed, would someone try to look in that way to see if I was here or what I was up to. Well, that day has come and it just happened to be one of my bosses. He gave me big smile and friendly wave.
“Hmm”, I thought, and give an awkward wave back. I don’t think he realized exactly what I was doing and fortunately, I wasn’t entirely exposed, but you’d think the dead-giveaway would have been the bottle of milk suctioned to my chest. My pumping session officially came to a close and I broke out in an embarassed sweat. Not once did he knock on my door or even try to ring my extension, he went the route I expected least of him.
THEN, as I’m walking out of my office down the aforementioned hallway to put my non-descript pump bag and ice packs in the fridge, he catches me and says, “oh, sorry to bother you, are you leaving for the day?” upon observing what looks like a lunch box in my hand.
“No”, I reply, with a bit of a scowl on my face, “I’m going to the fridge.”
“Oh, just finish your lunch?”
“No.”
“Oh, anyway, blah blah blah, brochure, blah blah blah can’t find.”
If he didn’t notice what I was doing upon peep-tomming his way into my office, then he hasn’t a clue. And I was expecting a little bit of embarassment on his part, but no...nothing. Truly clueless or pretending it never happened. Suffice it to say, I think I may need to find a new place to “express” myself.
If he didn’t notice what I was doing upon peep-tomming his way into my office, then he hasn’t a clue. And I was expecting a little bit of embarassment on his part, but no...nothing. Truly clueless or pretending it never happened. Suffice it to say, I think I may need to find a new place to “express” myself.
3 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your work needs a mommy room! Without windows! ;-)
The room I pump in doesn't have any windows, but I'm constantly checking to make sure I locked the door--even though I KNOW I did. I'm obsessive about it. The room isn't in an area of the building that's well traveled except when people come in and out during lunch, so when I hear nearby voices, I think my entire body freezes.
D