Friday, May 30, 2008
Thursday night, I was up later than usual packing for a trip I was taking the next day. I still got to bed by 10:00 p.m., but at 10:30, I woke from a dead sleep and heard the most frightening thing...voices. I woke up and noticed male voices and our kitchen light was on.
I whisper-screamed to Jimmy, "there are people in our house!" He jolted awake. I unsuccessfully scurried to put together the phone in our bedroom that Avery likes to disconnect. He tried to peek into the kitchen from our bedroom.
Our bedroom is adjacent to the adjoining kitchen/family room. He was able to tip-toe from our bedroom to the 2nd entry of the office where the other phone is. He eyes the two men in our home. He did not approach them from the alternate kitchen/family room entry, rather returned toward our bedroom just as one of the men was making his way toward the rear of the house and the 2nd bathroom. We confronted him there...adrenaline pumping!
Turns out these two guys were at the wrong house. Having just driven over from L.A., they were trying to get to one of the men's aunt's house who lives next door. She told him to let himself in. He let himself in through the sliding glass door from our backyard. The door that wasn't locked.
We both realized that these guys weren't really a threat when they were talking amongst themselves wondering how his aunt had gotten all this furniture in her house. The other thing, the 2nd guy was in a wheelchair.
They were extremely apologetic and I think a little wierded out themselves. Oddly, they never noticed the pictures of people they didn't know and the assortment of toddler stuff strewn everywhere.
After this little episode, Jimmy and I both had a hard time falling back asleep. And this was a huge wake-up call for us both. For one, to be more vigilant about keeping doors locked and having an escape route in the event someone enters our house for nefarious reasons.
I now understand why my mom keeps a bowie knife between her mattresses, however, Jimmy and I think we might stow a baseball bat or a golf club nearby from here forward. I don't think I'd want to get close enough to stab someone and we both agreed we'd want to cause serious brain damage if we had to.
All kidding aside, we'd get out of the house 1st and foremost, but want to remind everyone to make sure their doors are locked. For you and your family's safety.
3 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

D